Ingredients for cupcakes
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2tbs cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter at room temp
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs (or 3 medium ones)
1 cup buttermilk (If u don't have it.. add 1 tbs of white vinegar OR lemon to a cup of milk.. and let set for 5- 10 minutes, you can also use Laban)
2tbs RED food colouring
1tsp white vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
- Pre heat oven to 375 and have your cupcake OR cake pans ready (greased)
- Mix the flour, salt, cocoa powder, and baking soda.. set aside
- Mix the butter with sugar, add the eggs one at a time, add the buttermilk
- Mix the two together.. add the tsp vinegar, vanilla, and red food colouring... mix well..
- Put into the pans.. and leave in oven for about 20-25 minutes for Cupcakes.. since this makes about 24 small cupcakes... I would suggest you check the cupcakes at 15 minutes on the second batch.
Ingredients for icing:
This time I used about 10 kiri packages (the small square ones)
about 1/3 cup butter
2 cups icing sugar
Mix well till fluffy, and refrigerate till you are ready to use
For decorativeness, I used sugar with red food colouring and sprinkled it on top, served it with strawberries... and they were good to go!
I also have a great recipe for red velvet whoopie pies, I will make them soon and post it here enshallah.